- born in Cologne in 1958
- father of four daughters
- studied mechanical engineering, majoring in bionics
- inventor of numerous international patents and utility patents:
- the "glow-in-the-dark stars” for sleepless romantics or scaredy cats, which have been illuminating the ceilings of children's rooms all over the world for almost thirty years"
- a stretching machine for making drums for an African Djembe manufacturer
- a robot-controlled underground car park system
- a ration pack which heats without an oven
- an intelligent compass which identifies the radius, diameter, circumference etc.
- the world’s smallest exercise device, the "rotation expander"
- the children’s instrument Klangraum nach Markus Ehring (sound space according to Markus Ehring), which is used in most German schools today
- development and design of the film merry go round for the Mausoleum, a touring exhibition of the Sendung mit der Maus. (a famous German TV show for children)
- public designer and winner of many international awards since 1987
- Today his playpoints can be found on thousands of playgrounds throughout the world, (Berlin, New York, Paris, Rome, Milan, Genoa, Tokyo, Peking)
- Cooperation with the Vortex Aquatic Structures company, who build and distribute his vision of water play areas
walking on the beach, reading, medium-format photography, bicycling, listening, marvelling
I do not believe that our work can really prevent social or cultural conflicts in urban spaces; however, what we can do is create spaces which promote respectful encounters and which can help us to work through conflicts. By perceiving differentness as lively diversity we are opening a wealth of individual but at the same time common experiences.
Designs in the Richter programme
Fleischhauer Straße 41
Tel.: 0451 / 3845 832